My name is Hanli and I have scoliosis and have been treated by Dr Koos Louw since I was 6 years old. I used to wear a brace, but since then my scoliosis had deteriorated. On 01 July 2010, I had scoliosis repair surgery at the Pretoria East Hospital. The operation lasted about 5 hours.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

DAY 8: Friday 09 July 2010

Maretha showed me how to go to the bathroom.  Since the catheter was removed, I have to go when I got to go...  Last night I even brushed my teeth, but then felt really dizzy and Sister Bets had to come and help out, water in my face and all...It gave me a bit of a dent in my confidence.  This morning, I'm feeling a bit down.  I cried when they gave me my anti-blood clotting injection (which is a bit better now that its in my thigh and not around my belly button anymore).   I am missing my roommate... At least I am standing up having my breakfast.  I was told that I have to sway from side to side (the Madiba shuffle) to ensure that my calf muscles keeps the blood pumping back up.  Not a happy chappy today.




DAY 7: Thursday 08 July 2010

Today my roommate goes home!  She came over to me to say goodbye herself.  She bought me a fluffy bunny - thanks Chante!!!  You were really special to me and my inspiration to get up and walk the walk as you did it.  Without you and Maretha, I am sure it would have taken me much longer to get going...

Although Chante can almost walk to the hospital entrance, you have one last ride in your bed.  Chante waves us goodbye...


Nurse Louisa, Staff Candy and Nurse Tiny making up fresh beds for us.  If they only know how good it feels to have fresh linen on the beds... They also helped bath us in bed - now, that is a strange feeling.




DAY 6: Wednesday 07 July 2010

Today the catheter was removed - for my roommate it was over before she knew it. For me it was a big thing!  But now that its removed, its great - so look, Ma... no attachments!!!


After my first "no attachments" walk, I have an eye to eye straight-up meeting with Chante for the first time.  She is so tall!

Although I did not really feel too much pain, my mom sensed that I become fidgety and uncomfortable and said that I should rather use the pain medication available.  Sister Rita administering some pain meds.  Look at all the cuddly toys that I've received...


This photo was taken on the first day out of ICU, look at that HUGE plaster.
Sister Rita starts to remove the old plasters - very high up!!!  No wonder they washed my hair in ICU... 

Look at that scar...!  Guess how many staples???  I did not want to know (my mom told me afterwards there were 62!!).  You can also see the small incisions on the bottom right (excuse the pun!), that is where they took some bone from my hips to help cement the rods to the rest of my spine.

With the fresh plasters.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Hanli.

    How are you feeling? WOW that is alot of staples LOL!!! Hope you are getting stronger everyday! Soon you will be A-for-away!!! Lots of lOve the van Rooyens in Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hanli, Sorry I have not emailed you yet. Francois and I went on a little holiday trip to Cuba for my 30th...yes my 30th.
    Please keep us updated with your progress. Are you home yet?
    Wow, your scar looks almost unreal, I showed Fran and he was amazed. Something out of a Science Fiction movie...Keep up your positive spirits!
    You are Strong like Bull! Look after yourself. Email me, so I can send you photos.
    Love you, Renate*

    ReplyDelete